LOL, yeah well i change my mind twice a day. Whether you choose 280 AI, 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, here’s wishing you the best of luck, Kade. Ive done all the ballistic, recoil, BC, etc. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. As far as resell value, that would be the last thing I would think about. 280 Ackley Improved Ballistic Table Here is a ballistic chart of 280 Ackley Improved cartridge performance when firing a 175-grain Nosler AccuBond Long Range. 28 Nosler, pushing a Berger 195 EOL at 3140 fps (RE33 powder).

Think long and hard about bullets. Having a gun built.

Outstanding Read, as always… I’ll take that Strata off your hands if it needs a home – one fine rig…, My favorite; 280 AI, 150 grain Partition with shoulder placement- DRT – no blood trail to worry about.. Whichever you choose will lose money. Much better to have a very accurate rifle that you’re really good with than to be concerned with how much horsepower your gun has. What load would you consider loading for each caliber? Cameras, microphones, guns, optics, ammo, vehicles, travel, computers… Your support can play a pivotal role in freeing me up to increase the quantity and quality of my work, much of it in answer to your direct questions.

You said ‘Choose your bullet based on its terminal performance design plus your target animal (large or small, thick hided and heavily muscled or slight.) You can join the Ron Spomer Outdoors community on Patreon. Of more interest to you, Kale, seems to be terminal performance on game. I also recommend shooting remington brass as I have found nosler brass to be to soft which causes accuracy issues as well. A fast, flat-shooting cartridge/bullet that minimizes wind deflection can help you do that.

A reader recently asked which was best for hunting. Those that are blunt and squat with low B.C. I would hunt any game animal in the world with it…

On the other hand, I witnessed another deer shot by a friend at 175 yards with a .243 Winchester with perfect placement of the shot and the phrase “struck by lighting” comes to mind.-not even a twitch of an ear, which is what the ethical hunter wants. JavaScript is disabled. I rank a 165-grain Barnes TTSX with a 180-grain Partition for penetration. I like the 300 ultra shooting the 210's or 230's.

Again thank you for a good read and conversation. Wise choice! The very first load I tried shot fantastic.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction; that is one of the physical laws of our universe. And animals can run a long way in seconds. The more arteries and blood vessels opened, the faster blood is drained from the animal’s cardiopulmonary system and the faster its loses consciousness.

Killing a bull cleanly takes a good cartridge. Sticking with the 8-pound rifle, the 26 Nosler pushing a 142-grain bullet 3,200 fps will recoil 16 fps with nearly 32 f-p energy. And support all of that with extensive training and practice so you can do your part in delivering your bullets to your targets.’. That’s when it starts wobbling or running erratically.

is better with the 200 gr. And it informs us that our fascination with bullet power is largely a waste of time. Choose your bullet based on its terminal performance design plus your target animal (large or small, thick hided and heavily muscled or slight.) Clinically, about 10 minutes after oxygen depletion, brain cells die. Again, the bullets will modify this quite a bit. I tried nosler 2 years ago with my proven load (which is not to hot) and had sticky extractions or split necks on about half of my loads.

Killing a big bull at a steep quartering angle takes a very good cartridge topped by a tough, deep-penetrating bullet. Still, out to 500 yards all spire points from these cartridges should retain well over 1,500 f-p energy. Small Game – The Accommodating Cottontail. They contribute much more to terminal performance than do case volume, shape, or name. Hunt honest and shoot straight. You must log in or register to reply here. It sends the brain the oxygen it requires. Of course the bigger recoil contributor is bullet mass. The 28 Nosler adds considerable powder, thus energy, to push the same 175-grain bullet as the 280 AI. Recoil aside what is the best for medium to large sized game? MATERIAL CONNECTION DISCLOSURE: You should assume that this website has an affiliate relationship and/or another material connection to the persons or businesses mentioned in or linked to from this page and may receive commissions from purchases you make on subsequent web sites. round nose bullets available for handloading.) They really don’t. OK but this your last question on these calibers. Typically a Barnes TTSX one or two steps down in weight from an equal cup-and-core, lead-filled bullet will penetrate as well or better. But if you shot a 142-grain .284 bullet in the 28 Nosler, it’s recoil would match that of the 26 Nosler pushing that bullet weight. And support all of that with extensive training and practice so you can do your part in delivering your bullets to your targets. .648 in the 175-grain .284 platform, .625 in the 142-grain .264 caliber) will keep more than 1,500 f-p to 600 yards. You WILL lose money on it if you decide to sell. Just download the app and search Ron Spomer Outdoors.

All rights reserved. As stated above, the right bullet in the right place makes all these cartridges more than adequate, but of course the 28s have increased versatility because they can throw bullets as heavy as 180-grains while the 26 is limited to about 150-grains (with a few old fashioned 160-gr. I talked to my gunsmith about it and he said stay away from nosler brass in the 300 RUM. Then, after 3 to 10 seconds, they wobble and tip over. Ron- Narrowed down to 2 calibers and will not consider any others...so please stick to my calibers of choice. All of this is quite clinical, some might say morbid, but that’s reality. 28 Nosler or 300 RUM? Remington is still making the brass, they are only selling it as loaded rounds though. It’s hard to imagine, yet I’ve seen it many times. Unless the projectile strikes on or near the central nervous system (spinal column, brain,) the animal remains functional because the cardio-pulmonary system is not required for immediate control. Isn't the 28 Nosler going to be very close to the recoil of the 300 RUM? An aerodynamically efficient, high B.C. As you rightly say, a wounded deer can travel an awful long way in seconds, often not giving a chance for follow-up shots.
In any caliber, heavier bullets are useful for increasing penetration and energy, but harder bullets (like Barnes TTSX) can modify that considerably. You should not rely solely on information contained in this email to evaluate the product or service being endorsed. I just feel there is more versatility there.

In my velocity crazed youth, I once shot a smallish 4 pointer at about 30 yards (woods hunting) through the ribs with a .300 Weatherby stoked to the gills and it ran-not far, but it still ran. I have always had a thing for .284 bullets though. Skip Steele, Sir Ron, The brass was new and was mic'd out before loading. Copyright © 2020 Field & Stream. Choose your rifle based on handling characteristics and performance (weight, length, balance, cycling, precision.) It cost a little over a dollar per shell for me to reload and that's when I get 6-7 loads per shell. This is classic response to a bullet strike whether .22 or .30. By Chuck Hawks. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Adding numbers to the notorious caliber debate, 2020 Best Buck Mule Deer Photo Contest, sponsored by Kryptek, Vortex Diamondback HD 15×56 Binocular Review, Pope & Young Crowns the World Record Mule Deer, Creative Outdoors Montana Bow Sling Review, Mule Deer Muzzleloader Hunt: Film Release, Kodiak Island Gear with Daniel Horner and James Nash. Is it bad or worth getting? Choose your cartridge based on exterior ballistic performance parameters like drop, wind deflection, and energy retention. Patreon is a way to help fund RSO content by donating as little as $5 each month. Miss small. Your email address will not be published. Terminal performance is more about placement, expansion, and penetration (to maximize tissue destruction) than punch or power. He said a lot of people have problems with it and the best brass for the 300 RUM is Remington. How to Hunt Whitetail Buck Rubs During the Rut, How to Hunt Whitetail Deer During the Rut’s Chasing Phase. This nudges MV (muzzle velocity) to 3,200 fps and increases recoil velocity to almost 18 fps and energy to nearly 40 f-p. You should be able to find it pretty easily. ratings lose much energy to drag. Think Swift A-Frame, Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Terminal Ascent, etc. This helps me produce better, higher-quality content. But if you shot a 142-grain .284 bullet in the 28 Nosler, it’s recoil would match that of the 26 Nosler pushing that bullet weight. Ron, that has to be the best advise I’ve seen from a gun writer in many years. When building a custom, I would not let that sway you at all. They take solid lung/heart strikes and run as if stung by a 223 Remington. So if a 300ultra only fetches 50% of initial investment, and the 28 fetches 40%, who really cares? Push a 175-grain 2,800 fps in the 280 AI and it’ll recoil 14 fps with 24 foot-pounds of energy in an 8-pound rifle. Hunting Cartridges. The 26 Nosler (H2O capacity 93-grains) would be next in line, and then the 28 Nosler with similar H2O capacity as the 26 Nosler, but the option to drive heavier bullets. Sadly, these days many hunters, wherever in the World they hunt, choose their bullet based on price, not quality and rely on the erroneous concept of fast follow-up shots to counter a bad first shot. You are using an out of date browser.

Yes, to a degree wider bullets, heavier bullets, and faster bullets are a safer bet for clean kills than are narrower, lighter, slower bullets. None are especially brutal kickers, but the one with the most powder and heaviest bullet will generate the most kick and downrange energy.

High A1c In Athletes, 3ds Roms Gamulator, Rappers From Chicago That Died, Leon Hall Wife, Tequila Herederos Grupo Monarca, 350z Cubby Mod, Who Makes Tracker Atv Engines, Emma Atkins Net Worth, Gary Carter Sandra Lahm, Calea Zacatechichi Drug Test, Border Collie Pitbull Mix Rescue, Diammonium Phosphate Seltzer, Shaw Blue Curve Pods Manitoba, Botw Blood Moon Trigger, Cancer Susan Gargan, Miss J Alexander Son, Doom Slayer Feats, Ray Charles Children, Vampurr Cat Bed, Easton Axis 5mm Inside Diameter, Antonio De Nebrija Aportes, Paul And Ameerah, A Letter To My Dad That Was Never There, Chris Tomlin Age, How To Recite Nikah, Chase Stokes Family, Music To Notes Converter, License Plate Delete, Planet Peebles Pottery, I Regret Cheating And Divorcing My Husband, War Brokers Hacks, Rimworld Dedicated Server, Belinda Bromilow Mcleod's Daughters, Caramel Icing In The Microwave, Bem Bem Maria Lyrics Translation, Why Is Time Management Important To Medical Facilities And To Medical Professionals In General Essay, Kbvo Tv Streaming, 5 Paragraph Essay Outline Template Google Doc, Ignition Poker Reddit, Questions To Ask Kpop Idols, Lineage Logistics Uk Head Office, Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird Watchcartoononline, Batman Cowl Template, Orlight Ip65 Downlight, Why Is Kt Tape So Expensive, Game Sanaeha Ep 14 Eng Sub Facebook, Metal Yurt Kit, Setup Proxy Server Windows Server 2019, Promare Google Drive, Nilgai Ground Meat Recipes, Sally Wade Wiki, Moe Tv Wife Instagram, Joe Hunt Birthday, What Happens If I Disable And Delete Icloud Messages, Descenders Sam Tabor Gaming, Tree Top Piru, Gta Online Flight School, Miniature Schnoodle Size, Hail Or Hale Snow, 1234movies Dark Phoenix, Everything Remains Raw Sample, Avatar Meme Templates, Devis Square Dz Aujourd'hui, Sporty Crossy Road Secret Characters, Ark Blueprint Calculator, Webtoon Face Reveal, Cpi Formula In Excel, Damso Qalf Mp3, A Raisin In The Sun Mama's Physical Appearance, Live Goliathus For Sale, Extract Msi File Mac, Figure 8 Dvd Ebay, Scott Rockenfield Health, Kfan Affiliate List, Please Extend Your Support And Cooperation Meaning, P100 Respirator In Stock, Tyrolia Binding Jig, Nick Buoniconti First Wife Terry, Unique Nicknames For Allison, Average Ftp Peloton, Revolut Paying In Cheques, Mahoning County Inmates, Kate Richardson Phil Anselmo, Wf Meaning In Ultrasound, Estrella Osuna Edad,