Make sure to always have a bowl of fresh water in the tank, and always change the water if it has been soiled. So if you have had your blue tongue skink since it was a baby, you should slowly reduce how much food you feed it. If your blue tongue skink loses more than 7-10% of body weight, you must take it to the vet as soon as possible. I have a 6.5 month old Indonesian blue tongue. Weigh them weekly – sudden weight loss often indicates illness. Forum rules In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts. Blue tongue skinks need high temperatures in a basking spot to digest their food. Blue tongue skinks tend to drink from a bowl, and get moisture from their food. Just been to the vets , btw the vets I go to is trinity vets is a well recognised vets for exotic Animals and the only one within miles of wear I live. https://www.facebook.com/Blues-Brothers ... 870974859/, BTS Species Descriptions --from bluetongueskinks.net, Tanimbar Island (Tiliqua scincoides chimaerea), Indonesian (Tiliqua gigas gigas) + Halmahera form. I highly recommend doing what was suggested in earlier posts. If the tank is too small, your blue tongue will start stressing and might try to escape and refuse to eat. This is the place! A blue tongue skink can go weeks without eating – blue tongue skinks during brumation can go up to 3 months without food. However, in more serious cases, your vet will administer antibiotics. Without high temperatures in a basking spot, your blue tongue skink won’t digest food – it will rot in the guts, causing constipation, poor appetite and so on. Switch to cypress mulch, reptibark or a similar humidity friendly substrate. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window). Brumation times can vary greatly due to climate and place (season), but generally it can be between November and March. Babies can sometimes be fussy about food. Your blue tongue skink might be refusing food because it’s shedding. Disclaimer: I am not a reptile veterinarian nor a reptile health expert. He’s only on newspaper at the moment as that was suggested by the vet to avoid infection whilst the toes are healing, in regards to humidity I can try and up the humidity however the humidity was extremely higher when he initially got the RI and the vet suggested my humidity was too high . Strong smell of cat or dog food can help entice your blue tongue skink to eat. If your blue tongue skink is suffering from a mouth rot infection, it will be painful for it to eat. Blue-tongued skinks comprise the Australasian genus Tiliqua, which contains some of the largest members of the skink family (Scincidae). Blue tongue skinks reach sexual maturity at the age of 12-16 months (for males), and around 24-30 months old for females. Our site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for our site to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affilliated sites. Lethargic. Post a picture of your BTS. Make sure you adjust correct humidity levels, have a bowl for soaking and even give a bath to help with shedding. How long can a blue tongue skink go without eating? What is ReptiFiles®? You can read about mouth rot causes, symptoms and treatment in this post. There might be various reasons why your blue tongue skink is not eating, including external and internal factors. I spoke to the vet this morning he’s in a lot of pain so I made what I believe was the only choice I could . Keep a weekly record of weight, feeding habits, behavior, shedding, etc. Mites on a Blue Tongue Skink - How to Get Rid of Mites? However, in general, adult blue tongue skinks don’t eat much at all. This is a brief guide to preventing, recognizing, and treating some of the most common illnesses and conditions seen in captive blue tongue skinks. You must also include a basking platform, two-three hides, plants and some low climbing accessories. If he is in the dire condition you are describing, unfortunately a quick fix usually isn't the answer. It can actually cause choking and death, because your skink will push out the food it doesn’t want to eat. Your blue tongue skink needs high basking temperatures of 95-105 degrees Fahrenheit (35-40.5 Celsius). The signs of brumation is lethargy, refusing to eat, hiding and sleeping more. One of the reasons that can lead to poor appetite is an internal parasitic infection. If your blue tongue skink is still very picky, you can skip its meals if it’s refusing to eat any of it. Once it’s finished, your blue tongue skink should be eating normally again. You can easily access our privacy policy and terms of use. Make sure there is a gradient however – the cool side should be only reaching 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit (21.1-26.6 Celsius). ReptiFiles is not a veterinary website, nor is the author Mariah Healey a veterinarian. They are commonly called blue-tongued lizards or simply blue-tongues or blueys in Australia.As suggested by these common names, a prominent characteristic of the genus is a large blue tongue that can be bared as a bluff-warning to potential enemies.

Asos Teacher Discount, Bilan De Vie Pdf, Alexandra Botez Iq, Ephemeral Rift Accident, Karen Duffy Obituary, Black Diamond Stingray Pups, Warfare 1944 Mobile, Statarea Prediction Foot, Mass Effect 3 Omega Aria Kiss, Lord Roberts Slavery, The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy Season 1 Episode 12,