EJ was a teenager back then, and the mom noticed during the trip that her son didn’t seem to have any sexual interest in women. NBA legend Magic Johnson is the proud father of three kids. Happy 60th Birthday. And in November of 1991, the player publicly announced not only his diagnosis, but also his immediate retirement from basketball. Although Andre is not her birth son, she considers him as such. Avery and Gigi are often spotted hanging out with their grandparents, Magic and Cookie. Before you answer that, though, know that if you are, I’m okay with it.’” This is perhaps the attitude that every LGBTQ child hopes for from their parents. He also worked as a producer at Hydra-Entertainment, as head of Business Development at The Virtual Reality Company, and is currently the Vice President of Business Development at Mythical Games, a next-generation game technology studio. "Obviously, my family's always been in the spotlight," he told Out magazine in 2014. ", EJ said the reaction to his sexuality varied from positive to extremely harsh. And as he discussed on Red Table Talk in June 2018, family members aren’t always that helpful when you need them, either. Snackable content that delights, informs and entertains. In any case, the Dream Team dominated the basketball competition at the 1992 Olympics, winning every single one of their eight games. Sometimes it's hard being in the middle, kind of in the gray area in my own lane. In fact, during a conversation between parents and son, Magic’s reaction to EJ’s revelation shocked the family. Since 2015, After a devastating early retirement, however, the basketball legend turned his attention to charity work and business ventures as well as his family. And since then, the pair have appeared in a documentary together; in 2019 they even received the first-ever joint NBA Lifetime Achievement Award. That Spartans victory also helped propel Magic to the All-American team in 1979. "I've always been very fashion-forward," he says (via Us Weekly). It was, like, this is supposed to be my show and my moment, and it wasn't what I wanted at all. And despite their busy lives, the couple tends to make time to attend the kids’ individual performances or games at school. "I always had dreams and plans of doing my own thing and creating my own image, so it came a little sooner than I thought it would but this is still something I knew I would be going through and would have to experience. "I say dance around in your closet when no one is looking until the time is right," he told BET. Scribol has built a large and loyal audience that now numbers 20MM visitors per month, making it EJ Johnson is reality star who appeared on Rich Kids of Beverly Hills and EJNYC. However, despite the frenzied headlines and strained family dynamic, EJ was not even aware of his father's illness until he learned about it by accident after stumbling upon a reference to his father while researching a book report in elementary school. In 1984, however, Magic and his rival made a commercial for Converse together and finally buried the hatchet. And when his contract was inked, it began a partnership that would last nearly two decades and see Magic become the highest-paid sportsman in history. But while the world reeled from this shocking news, sports fans rallied around the star. Furthermore, it was during this period that the star also found some joy in his personal life. We all had to work and move forward. EJ has two siblings. He’s also credited with introducing a new style of basketball to the league, called, appropriately enough, Showtime. ", When the TMZ story broke, Magic issued a statement: "Cookie and I love EJ and support him in every way. ", According to BET, he recognizes how lucky he his to be able to live freely as "a young Black man in the public eye who plays with gender norms." EJ Johnson's parents are extremely supportive of his sexuality, but that wasn't always the case. That appeared to be the case with the Johnson clan, too, when EJ revealed some news that was close to his heart. From there, EJ took a guest spot on Real Husbands of Hollywood; he also planned to start a fashion career. And although Magic continued to play basketball on and off for the NBA, he ultimately retired from the league for good in 1996. And the web series has proved a massive hit, too. EJ came out publicly as gay in 2013 after TMZ posted a video of him holding hands with his best friend, Alessandro Monetti, whom TMZ claimed was his boyfriend. He also discussed his diet. In over 900 games, the player notched up an enormous list of achievements, including scoring a career total of 17,707 points and reaching the All-Star single-game assists record of 22. ", What you don't know about Magic Johnson's son EJ, challenging long-standing gender stereotypes. Swiftly promoted to a main cast member for season two, he remained on the show until its cancelation in 2016. Former L.A Laker point guard, Earvin “Magic” Johnson Jr., is known not only for his successful career as a basketball player but also for being a dedicated father and husband. Andre graduated from Santa Monica College with an associate degree in Business Management in 2002. And I was like, ‘Okay, we need to have a talk.’”, The mom of two continues, “The talk wasn’t, ‘You can’t be this.’ The talk was, ‘Do you think you are? ", On an episode of EJNYC, EJ Johnson admits to a therapist that he considered transitioning into a woman after Caitlyn Jenner made her debut in 2015. "I told her how I was feeling and she obviously told me that she had known and always would love me anyway. EJ said he came out to his mother around age 13 or 14. "...When it was time to come out, I was, obviously, scared as most people are. Despite always being rich, he did work hard and made his own fortune, away from his family fortune of around $500 million. Indeed, while Magic was originally attracted to the Lakers by the prospect of rubbing shoulders with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, his own talent would make him a superstar. Appearing alongside the trio of hosts, the mother-and-son pair were there specifically to discuss raising LBGTQ children. And it’s not just audiences that love the frank, no-holds-barred debates. As for Louis Vuitton using Will Smith's son, Jaden Smith, in its women's line, EJ said, "If you're going to do it, I think you should go with somebody who's actually doing it because they genuinely get it as opposed to somebody who just has a name and was doing it just to be out there." They also help students realize their maximum potential by working alongside parents, students, and private schools. Critics have lauded Red Table Talk, too, with The Washington Post particularly praising the series for its “authenticity.” Prestigious honors have also come the show’s way: it bagged a People’s Choice Award nomination in 2018 and a Daytime Emmy Award nod the following year. You continue to bless our family and countless others with the joy of the lord and I pray God gives you many more years to do so. "I'm completely dedicated to living a new, healthy lifestyle." Let's get to know the reality television star who served up a whole lot of drama on Rich Kids of Beverly Hills and his spin-off, EJNYC. In recent years, you see, Magic’s son EJ has become something of a pop culture phenomenon. star and a host at MTV; Elisa, on the other hand, is a model on the rise and has also appeared on television in several occasions. "I've always loved being in front of people, being on stage and performing. But sadly, E! Perhaps things were starting to look up for Magic. canceled EJNYC after just six episodes. In an interview with The New York Times, EJ Johnson shed light on what went wrong with EJNYC, which lasted just six episodes. No parent is prepared 100 percent and fully for something like that. And his parents supported him at every moment. And topping off an already accomplished career, in 1992 Magic won an Olympic gold medal playing for the U.S.’ so-called “Dream Team” – a squad that included greats of the game Charles Barkley, Jordan and Magic’s former nemesis Bird. The NBA All-Star goes on, “You’ve got to support your child because there are so many people who try to discriminate against them. Kelly – better known these days as Cookie – is a clothing designer and public speaker, and together she and her husband have two children: son EJ, who arrived into the world in 1992, and daughter Elisa, whom the couple adopted in 1995. The bad blood started with a Spartans victory over Bird’s Indiana State during the National Collegiate Athletic Association finals in 1979. The Johnson family on October 11, 2014 in Beverly Hills, California | Source: Getty Images. ", "I am very, very, very blessed to have the family that I do," EJ told Gwissues (via ESPN). Jack Depp Is 18 and Dating a Beautiful Model — Who Is Johnny Depp's Only Son? "Yeah, racism, not so much. Lamenting the show’s passing, in 2017 EJ told The New York Times, “It was sad. However, Magic’s eldest son, Andre Johnson, prefers to live a more normal life away from the glitz and bliss of Hollywood. He has three children: two sons and an adopted daughter. Yes, Magic’s status didn’t stop basketball aficionados from voting him onto 1992’s All-Star game. "The man that led me on is now hooking up with my sister, and I'm supposed to be OK with it." EJ was born in the year 1992 on June 4th. They also go on vacation as a family, like last year, when Andre shared pics on Instagram from a family trip to some Italian islands to celebrate Magic’s 60th birthday. star and a host at MTV; Elisa, on the other hand, is a model on the rise and has also appeared on television in several occasions. And with Magic and Cookie having helped EJ live his truth, he continues to fly the flag for LGBTQ rights. They adopted a daughter, Elisa, in 1995. Despite the aggressive tabloid outing, the 20-year-old took the experience in stride. And the mom said that when she and EJ finally “had the talk” with her husband, his reaction shocked them. Touchingly, off the court, the Lakers star had already established the Magic Johnson Foundation to increase awareness of and help in the battle against HIV/AIDS. In a 2006 article, the network said of the Lakers legend, “It could be argued that he’s the one player in NBA history who was better than Michael Jordan.”. Rachel Lindsay Lives Apart from Her Husband — inside the 'Bachelorette' Star's Marriage, Heidi Klum's Daughter Leni Doesn't Show Her Face on Instagram — What to Know about Her 4 Kids, Mookie Betts' Father Served in the Air Force — What to Know about His Parents, Dylan Dreyer's Sons Both Underwent Surgeries — Glimpse into Her Family Life. He has a brother and a sister. EJ told BET that racism hasn't been a significant problem in his life. It was kind of like an 'aha moment,' the realization that people like that still exist," EJ told the Daily Beast in 2014, adding, "He's a walking joke. EJ is named after his father — the initials are short for Earvin Johnson III, but those are just the basics about this fascinating individual. #60yearsofMagic, A post shared by Andre Johnson (@johnsonboywonder81) on Aug 14, 2019 at 12:13am PDT. They should probably start highlighting people who are doing it in the streets, as opposed to whatever celebrity they're putting in a skirt for five seconds just for publicity.". On the show, hosts Jada Pinkett Smith, her mom, Adrienne Banfield-Norris, and daughter, Willow, tackle everything from motherhood to religion along with their famous guests. They adopted a daughter, Elisa, in 1995. And EJ himself was not best pleased. "I thought about it, for sure," he says. On the Red Table Talk episode, EJ goes on to explain, “[My father] picked me up for dinner. The same thing happened with my dad like a year or so later.

The Music Room New Cross, Kheya Poem Question Answer, Real Fruit Juice Owner, 2017 Acura Mdx With Entertainment Package For Sale, Greenworks Pressure Washer Problems, Dawn Of War Soulstorm Ultimate Apocalypse, Mehar Posh Episode 5 Dailymotion,