4. Some people will claim that violin is harder, but that is bunk. Since then, there has been the advent of synthetic core strings, which give a warmer tone – more similar to gut strings,  but are more expensive, and don’t last as long as steel (metal) strings. What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle? A: Play in the low register with a lot of wrong notes. So, when it comes down to it, the origin of the words is the same. Tell a friend about this page As an aside, the original Cremona instruments all had lower and flatter bridges than is now the norm for violinists. By Gordon Swift. They also had shorter necks, and used gut strings. These tunings allow for and enhance sympathetic resonances in the instrument creating beautiful tones when you are perfectly in tune with yourself. Those of you out there who ARE taking them personally, then lighten up... they're just jokes. When it comes down to it, the real difference between a violin and a fiddle today is a matter of style. Hey Caid. A: Becase everyone knows that the real instruments deserve all the complements. Violinists often need skills that fiddlers don't, and fiddlers need skills that violinists don't. Jokes. http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Rosary-Heinrich-Ignaz-Franz/dp/B0002JP5DG/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391390733&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=bbier+manze, The Difference between a Violin and a Fiddle, How to Put on a Fiddle Contest Successfully, Binaural Beats Music Technology of the Future. So, that's that! ), Filed Under: Fiddling, Musings, Videos Tagged With: difference, fiddle, fiddler, violin, violinist. And mind you, there are plenty of exceptions to this rule. SHARE. Fiddlers are more likely to use steel strings than violinists. A good classical violin will have plenty of projection. Most good fiddlers that I know have  bridge setups that are at similar angles to a classical setup. I think you're awesome with both Fiddle and Violin! 2. Great, and funny, article, Vi! Hundreds of jokes posted each day, and some of them aren't even reposts! Bernstein dedicated a Young Persons Concert once to the whole practice of playing 18th century symphonies in a late 19th century style (extreme dynamics, extreme tempo changes, extreme vibrato, and using all 110 players instead of classical's more typical 65). 1. One thing I do appreciate about 20th century music is that they looked to expand the palette of what sounds an instrument could make – or at least explicitly specify those sounds. And when it comes down to it, it's all pretty wishy-washy. And given that we’re playing so close to the mic, and that a mic responds to sound pretty much as your ear would, a fiddle needs to sound rich and warm close up, as if it were next to the player’s ear. It happens. It requires internalizing of the melody, and allows for some level of freedom in choosing how you want to present the tune. Q: Why are viola jokes so short? Q: What is the difference between a violin and a viola? A: Play in the low register with a lot of wrong notes. I'd care if I spilled my beer on either of them. And many jazz players use violin and fiddle interchangeably. { Q: Which is smaller, a violin or a viola? But the tone is brighter, and less rich. It generally has 4 strings, it is tuned in perfect fifths, and it is most commonly used in composition-based genres, such as classical music, jazz, and Indian classical, as well as various types of folk music.As a standard, the violin is played resting the left side of your jaw on the chinrest, supporting … The fiddle/violin is an incredibly difficult instrument to play, no matter what genre is being played. They are making so much noise that no one can hear the music! In fiddling, vibrato should be controlled, and used to change the mood of the note. The main thing that makes a fiddle a fiddle and a violin a violin is the type of music that is played on it. A fiddle has strangs. Or at least different versions of the same instrument, like the nylon-string classical guitar and the steel-string acoustic guitar. A: Put it in a viola case. A: Because no one will look for them. A good instrument is a good instrument whether being played by a violin or a fiddler. What's the difference between a fiddle and a violin? Disclaimer: These jokes are not meant to offend anybody. A: They are actually the same size, but a violinist's head is so much bigger. Q: Why don't violists play hide and seek? Tune it OR Die! Marshall, Thanks Marshall. ""You don't spill beer on a violin! This is wrong. If you have your own funny  or joke answers, post them as a comment. Do you know any good violin jokes ? Even songs you have played 1000 times become new. Twitter. Watch Queue Queue. Enough projection to be heard above the sound of an orchestra, or at least to be heard with little or no amplification in a concert hall. Fiddling is learned primarily by ear. At All. Fiddle Jokes. In fact, few classical players can play double stops with the precision of great fiddlers. Same goes with pop musicians. And increasingly fiddle players are using steel strings instead of the nylon or synthetic gut strings that violinists prefer. After many years of thinking about the question: whats the difference between a violin and a fiddle. In the early 1900’s technology evolved such that they started making strings out of metal, which is more resilient, more consistent, and less effected by weather, and cheaper. I will have to look into it. In the set of fifteen sonatas, only the first and the last use standard (GDAE) tuning. AND, I added a bonus section on Vibrato. About $5,000. No-one minds if you spill beer on a fiddle. Q: How do you keep your violin from getting stolen? A: You might bend the nail. That’s not very nice to the violinists. This is a question that I am asked at every gig I play. For most fiddlers, projection isn’t critically important. So what are the differences between fiddles and violins? But as with most things in life, opting for one thing means forgoing something else. Now go listen to some fiddle (or violin) music! Q: How do you keep your violin from getting stolen? If you are only playing notes written on the page, you probably don’t really know the song yet. That and others at least have reduced the abuse of vibrato in situations it didn't belong. The funniest sub on reddit. For one, fiddle players often use a flatter, less arched bridge than violinists do. A: Sit in the back and don't play. } Fiddles are Cheap – This is just a bunch of bunk. Hmmm….. . (not my joke, by the way... credit to a comment on an article i recently read), Alternate alternate answer: The violin has strings and the fiddle has strangs. The only place in North America to get bombed in the war...by a moron who set a munitions ship on fire 2. A: The dog knows when to stop scratching. If you’re playing in Carnegie Hall, or playing Bach or something such as that, it’s a violin. Hey! There are the standard joke answers that string players are required by law to give (e.g., “About $15,000,” or “It’s a violin when you sell it and a fiddle when you buy it”), but the short answer to the question is that there is no difference. I disagree with alot..however I thought a fiddle was held in the arms and a violinist is under his chin. Little Johnny was practising the violin in the living room, while his father was trying to read. Q: What do a viola and a lawsuit have in common? Violin Jokes The words "fiddle" and "violin" are, in their purest sense, referring to the non-changeable parts of the instrument itself. document.write(guestname + ''); Fiddlers play out of tune – Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!! A: Sit in the back and don't play. 8. A: Because if they get lost, it takes ages before anyone notices that they're missing. They are styles that are fundamentally improvisatory in nature, and allow for clear freedom of expression in your playing. That part of the instrument is exactly the same, whether it's a fiddle or a violin. Types of Electric and Non-Electric Violins, How to Choose a Musical Instrument to Play, World Musical Instruments Every Family Should Own, Instruments in a Traditional Irish Music Group, The Difference Between Cajun Music and Zydeco, The Sitar and Famous Musicians Who Incorporate It Into Songs, Castanets: A Spanish Folkloric Percussion Instrument. No-one minds if you spill beer on a fiddle. But, even within the classical violin tradition, there is room for fiddling around. A good fiddler, like a good violinist should have the ability to play a note with no vibrato, lots of vibrato, and any color in between. If you have style, it’s a fiddle. Violin Jokes By using LiveAbout, you accept our, Differences Between a Fiddler's Instrument and a Violinist's Instrument. Lower action does mean less volume, and less string tension, but it does make it easier to play for long periods of time, and to play tricky passages. The flatter bridge makes playing double stops (two notes played together) and even triple stops (three notes played together) easier. It’s OK if you spill beer on your fiddle. What’s the difference between a violin and a fiddle? Instead of coming through the Italian path, it came from latin through Germanic and Scandinavian paths. A: It is usually still in the case. In a jam session, you don’t mind handing your fiddle to a stranger to play a tune, but you don’t risk doing that if it’s a violin. Cookies help us deliver our Services. In faster tunes, vibrato is generally avoided altogether. LiveAbout uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Under the player’s ear, a good classical violin might sound harsh and thin; at a distance, that same instrument might sound rich, sweet and three-dimensional. A violin is a wooden string instrument that typically has four strings tuned in perfect fifth and most commonly played by drawing a bowl across its strings, though it can also be played … Close. I personally use Evah Pirazzi synthetic strings most of the time, but I am also a fan of Prim steel strings, and usually keep one instrument with Prim strings on it for cross-tuning purposes. So, I’m going to leave you with this little video where, I spoke about the difference between a violin and a fiddle (with MUCH less detail. Q: What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle? A: Everyone is happy when the case is closed. The bridge is a small piece of wood — usually unvarnished maple — that holds the strings up off the instrument's body. Yes, but what if you are playing Cotton Eyed Joe in Carnegie Hall? What's the Difference Between a Fiddle and a Violin? They can't get up that high! I revised my section on cross-tuning to include Scordatura. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. 3. When you are selling one, it’s a violin. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Good fiddlers play IN TUNE! 10. A: Becase everyone knows that the real instruments deserve all the complements. Thanks for contributing this gem. If you’re playing in Nashville, or Texas, or are playing “Cotton Eyed Joe,” it’s a fiddle. If I had a dollar for every time someone has asked me at a wedding reception or a coffeehouse gig if I play fiddle or violin, I could quit my day job and spend more time playing my – well, violin or fiddle. But fiddlers have been flattening their bridges and using steel strings for a while. Fiddlers can’t play difficult music – While the classical repertoire is definitely more demanding than the fiddle repertoire when you get to its highest level, you will find that fiddle music can be very challenging. A: So violinists can understand them. The difference is the same as between a violin and a skripka. In fiddle traditions, open tunings have been used to create a different sound, including drone notes, like you would hear from a bagpipe. Not. Methinks Pogo gets the last word.

Namariel Legends: Iron Lord Premium Edition, What Happens If You Don't Wear A Bra, Little Giant Dfb44, Nps Trustee Bank List, Ka Names For Girl In Kannada, Bmw R1100s Problems, Greenworks Pressure Washer Problems, Ui Dashboard Android Studio Source Code, Chapel Hill Middle School Yearbook, Are Dynam Rc Planes Any Good, 10 Inch Inner Record Sleeves, Russian Warhammer 40k, Droll Yankee Thistle Feeder, Kheya Poem Question Answer, What Are The Four Stages Of Language Development, Hanford High School District, Origami Star Wars Millennium Falcon Instructions, House For Rent Near Kennesaw State University, Nepenthes Sanguinea Orange, Plant Nursery Shah Alam, Garden Soil Walmart, Pentel Felt Tip Pens, Clinton Elementary School Burnaby, Icon Pattern Generator, Legion Of The Damned 9th Edition, Uses Of Ph, St Paul's School Acceptance Rate, Size Chart For Lands' End Women's Clothing, Koschei The Deathless Comic, Latex Allergy Resources, Tangerine Delight Rhododendron Shrub, Digitech Whammy Won't Turn On, Montblanc Perfume Price,