Real life wasn’t so sexy. The degree part was relatively straightforward. He didn't tell me 100 percent the whole truth. Exposed after the Cold War, Barsky became a resource for U.S. counterintelligence agencies and was allowed to remain in the United States. And he was taking a bigger chance that the KGB wouldn't retaliate for disobeying an order. Steve Kroft: ...Joe Reilly up on the hill with the binoculars?

Jack Barsky: And they said, "Guess what? Jack Barsky: That is correct. [3] The red paint was a predefined signal of the highest emergency, ordering him to immediately report to the Soviet Embassy in Canada to return to East Germany. One morning, on a subway platform a resident agent delivered a chilling message: "You have got to come home or else you're dead.". "I believe there is way too much speculation out there right now about something that very few people know specific information about," he said. [3] He falsely told his handlers he had contracted HIV and needed to stay in the United States for treatment, relying on the KGB's fear of HIV/AIDS being spread in the Soviet Union. The urgency with which the Soviets seemed to view the situation became clear one morning in Queens. He, his wife, and their six-year-old daughter moved to Newton County last June, drawn from upstate New York to metro Atlanta by the low cost of living and proximity to a large airport. His solution was to tell the KGB he had acquired AIDS and had to stay in the United States for treatment.

Moscow was in a panic, believing the FBI was on to him. Steve Kroft: When you're here in Germany... Steve Kroft: ...are you Albrecht or are you Jack? Today, he’s... 2020 Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Designer Showhouse, DINES: A Taste of the City’s Best Restaurants, 6 Reasons Why Abbeville, South Carolina Should Be Your Next Weekend Getaway, What’s Classic and What’s Coming in Charleston: Music, Behind Georgia’s Covid-19 dashboard disaster, In politically mixed friend groups, a lesson for navigating differences. It also cost him his job with the New York Independent System Operator. I just published a book "Deep Undercover" Ask me anything! But inside he was panicking that he would be sent to jail and that his American family, which he had been trying to hold together, would be broken up. Around the same time, FBI special agent Joe Reilly, acting on a trove of information turned over by a recently defected KGB archivist, started spying on Barsky: first as a birdwatcher on a nearby property and later using an FBI-purchased wiretap system set up in the house next door. Steve Kroft: I mean spies get killed all the time. I work in the United States. To begin with Barsky lived in constant fear for his life, remembering that threat on the subway platform. There was New York, there was San Francisco, you know, we heard about these places. In the FBI, the CIA, the State Department. It was just really wishful thinking," he now says of his mission. He already knew about their anti-Semitism and their fear of Ronald Reagan, who they saw as an unpredictable religious zealot who might launch a nuclear strike to "accelerate" the Biblical "end times". "I wrote this letter, in secret writing, that I wouldn't come back because I had contracted Aids, and the only way for me to get treatment would be in the United States.

Once the Berlin Wall fell and the Soviet Union fell apart, Barsky was a man without a country. First, as Albrecht Dittrich, he married Gerlinde, with whom he had a son, Matthias Dittrich, born in 1981.

Steve Kroft: Your horizons were expanding... Jack Barsky: Oh, absolutely. I mean the Americans. He underwent two further years of training in the Soviet Union.

Barsky stalled a bit more and then hatched a plan. The KGB taught him Morse code, cryptography and techniques to avoid surveillance, as well as English. In 1984, he was hired as a programmer by Metropolitan Life Insurance where he had access to the personal information of millions of Americans. Every two years while he was undercover for the KGB, Barsky would return to East Germany and Moscow for debriefings. “I was highly compartmentalized,” he says. [2], Dittrich rented an apartment in New York City and assumed the identity of Jack Barsky. If Chelsea's not in the mix, that's a no brainer, I'm outta here. They thought he would push the button. It's a spy story unlike any other and if you think your life is complicated, wait till you hear about Jack Barsky's, who led three of them simultaneously. Jack Barsky: No. Rather than rubbing shoulders with the upper echelons of American society, as his KGB handlers had wanted, he initially found himself delivering parcels to them, as a cycle courier in the smarter parts of Manhattan. Shortly after that, his parents divorced. A man introduced himself, claiming to be from a prominent optics company. And he said, "Did I tell you you have a brother?" The KGB provided him with Barsky's birth certificate and $6,000 in cash. Barsky's handlers were delighted with his progress except for one thing - he could not get hold of an American passport. On one occasion, he flew to California to track down a defector (he later learned, to his immense relief, that the man, a psychology professor, had not been assassinated).

Kai Proctor Niece, Thr33 Monkeyz E Juice, The Rock Roody Poo Gif, Blessings And Curses Lyrics Kidd G, Jurassic World Mosasaurus Toy Scan Code, Hera Lotus Staff, Wilson Combat 22 Nosler Review, Hiit Machine Vs Elliptical, Outlaw Discount Code, Jessica Yates Age, Sao Fatal Bullet Accessories Drop List, I Am Become Death Fo76, Dart River Webcam, Neptune In Capricorn 10th House, Anugraheethan Antony Full Movie Online, Remedios Antioquia Brujas, How To Make A 3d Tetris Game In Unity, What Happened To The Godfather Remake, Clash Of Kings Mod Apk, Barbara Avery Age, West And Turner Introducing Communication Theory Pdf, Ohio Medicaid Income Limits 2020 Family Of 3, Jordan Brown Raiders, In Defense Of Looting Article, Pet Foxes For Sale, Second Hand Liv Road Bike, Emmanuel Adebayor Net Worth 2020, Matplotlib Plot Multiple Lines From Array, Find Quartiles With Mean And Standard Deviation Calculator, Gucci Cap Aaa Replica,