He told American Salon, “I’m very passionate about education. I like to keep a bunch of different colors, textures and lengths in my bag. Now that his work in the White House is over, he is keeping the momentum going with a new show on VH1 called To Catch a … President Obama had just announced his campaign, and an opportunity arose for Wright to style First Lady Michelle Obama for an Essence photo-shoot. Establishing his own hair business at the precocious age of 12, Wright had grown his client base to hundreds of friends and classmates by the time he was in high school. And, speaking of videos, I’ll be sure to share them over on Pursuit’s Facebook Page once they’re complete. I started doing hair when I was around 9, 10 or 11 years old — around that age. In an upcoming episode — which will air on Aug. 3 — as shown above, Wright walks a stylist through hair coloring after a bad job that resulted in a client wanting silver but instead gets purple. He attended Dudley Beauty College in the city where he honed his skills. Fox, Yvette Nicoele Brown, Sherri Shepherd, Naturi Naughton, Vanessa Williams, Lauren London, LisaRaye, Maxine Waters, Janelle Monae, Syleena Johnson, Shaun Robinson, and Candace Bushnell. In fact, he’s become quite the celebrity Wright has worked with several celebrity clients including Lisa Raye, Tamron Hall, Kerry Washington, and Queen Latifah. and Tamron Hall, and frequent guest makeover stylist on The Wendy Williams Show — give me a hair makeover. He then worked for Michelle from 2009 until 2017 and traveled all over the world with the President and First Lady. "I did [Michelle’s] hair and we hit it off,” he said. Renowned for his work with First Lady Michelle Obama, he has returned to the west coast after almost a decade of being based in Washington D.C. as her personal hair hairstylist… Although he’s always loved doing hair, he was still nervous about taking it seriously enough to turn it into a career. Johnny Wright, Artistic Style Director for SoftSheen-Carson & Celebrity Hair Stylist answered a lot of the questions I get in my e-mail. "In each episode, the duo will use a sting operation to catch the stylists before Wright puts them through a rigorous boot camp. Hair Makeover By Johnny Wright Back to my original statement: I was now in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Keep reading below to learn more about the famous hairstylist. “I’ve seen beauty all over the world and what I learned is that everyone is searching for themselves and wants to be accepted,” explains Wright. He was a hoot. Just. I was like ‘Oh my God!’ The thing is she wasn’t completely truthful, but I still felt so bad. “She knew I was going to be a hair stylist. Oh! Wright styled Obama’s hair in Denver for her speech at the Democratic National Convention. Partnership Solutions I had a huge clientele when I was 13-years-old. Noting, "I’ve done some styles that I felt they were bad. Most recently, Wright has moved back to Los Angeles, where he is simultaneously working to establish his own university and agency so as to further his commitment to mentoring and developing new talent across the beauty industry. Management To Catch a Beautician airs Mondays at 10 p.m. ET/PT on VH1. Why You Should Keep a Yearly Reflection Box, Tips For Coping With Dog Anxiety in Quarantine, 6 Things To Know About Being A Coach’s Spouse, 9 Things You Need To Know Before Becoming A Dance Mom, 3 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Taking On A Volunteer Role, The 10 People Who Are Ruining Social Media, 5 Things You Need To Know Before Becoming A Soccer Mom, 11 Frederick Summer Experiences You Can’t Miss, Fun Subscription Boxes Every Woman Needs To Try, Gifts For Foodies: 10 Fun Ideas For Folks Who Love Food, Gifts For Good: Gifts That Give Back For Everyone On Your List, Bang! I always wanted to comb her hair, it was a spiritual thing that bonded me to her. Johnny did some crazy techniques underneath, all around, and at the bottom to give it some texture and depth and shape — the details of which, I’ll probably never understand. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I worked with LisaRaye [McCoy], and we became friends and from there she started introducing me to her other celebrity friends. Before I was “accepted” into the makeover chair, I had to send a shot of my hair from the back so Johnny was able to determine if I’d be a good fit for the project. Born and raised in Chicago, Wright’s career in beauty started at an early age. Hair Makeover By Johnny Wright Back to my original statement: I was now in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. They have the best hair. Is it Possible That the Show Pawn Stars is Fake? First up: hair dye. He eventually attended Dudley Beauty College of Chicago and earned his beauty license in 2000. He told The Grio, “I used to dream about hairstyles and those dreams ignited me to actually want to actually perform those styles,” he said. Some people just have trust issues. !” shocking. Sometimes all it takes is the simple act of saying hello.”. It is about getting to know them, how they live their life and how they walk their walk. “I gave up 300 clients back in Chicago in 2017 to pursue a career in television,” the stylist told the New York Post. Your ends will be fine. Introducing ... PEOPLE's Products Worth the Hype, calls himself Hairstylist of the United States (HOTUS). Frederic Fekkai stylist Johnny Wright has been doing the potential First Lady’s hair for a year, after she liked his work for her Ebony photo shoot so much she rang him up and asked him back. He got his start working at a local hair salon in Chicago before branching out to Los Angeles. He currently has a chair at Salon Kazumi in Beverly Hills. Lexi and I had a chat after she was done, and I promised next time we’d have a lot more fun with colors. And, the hair guru also maintained a book of numerous high-profile clients as well, including Reese Witherspoon, Janelle Monae, Queen Latifah, Kerry Washington, and more. Even terminology, the product and all that — that’s what I’m really excited about just being able to educate and be a part of that whole process. Or, rather, BLEACH followed by three different toners. As someone who believes in second chances, this is something that is very important to Johnny. “How a woman wears her hair tells you a lot about her and how they want to present themselves, even before you hear her speak,” says Wright. "I’m always willing to learn. In addition, Wright has lent his talents to the fashion world, creating red carpet and runway looks, as well as providing red carpet commentary for numerous news outlets. He believes that as long as a person is willing to learn and grow, they are deserving of a second chance. !function(n){if(!window.cnx){window.cnx={},window.cnx.cmd=[];var t=n.createElement('iframe');t.display='none',t.onload=function(){var n=t.contentWindow.document;c=n.createElement('script'),c.src='//cd.connatix.com/connatix.player.js',c.setAttribute('async','1'),c.setAttribute('type','text/javascript'),n.body.appendChild(c)},n.head.appendChild(t)}}(document); I want to hear their story – whether she is sexy, adventurous or conservative – I want to be able to help her tell her story. I never really thought of anything further than just working in a salon and working behind a chair. Masthead, ← Why Today’s Leaders Must Surf, Not Sail, Commitment Counts sponsored by Fifth Third Bank. It was while he was attending beauty college that he made his initial breakthrough in the industry as a result of working for the Ebony Fashion Fair. Johnny Wright, Washington D. C. 2.9K likes. As the SoftSheen-Carson artistic style director, Wright acts as a spokesperson who educates consumers about the brand. I’m so glad I ended up doing it. I’ve had other times people weren’t happy with their haircut. Getting a hair makeover by celebrity stylist Johnny Wright is one of those “right place; right time” chances. That’s way blond. “Beyond that first impression, for me, it is all about connecting. Looks awesome! It was his grandmother – who was a working stylist and colorist until she was 91 – who first took notice of his fascination with her vocation as a toddler. Yikes! You'll get the latest updates on this topic in your browser notifications. Salon Kazumi has announced the addition of celebrated hairstylist and educator Johnny Wright to its roster of talented artists. Keep reading for 10 things you didn’t know about Johnny Wright.

Chateau Marmont Deaths, Cane Corso Husky Mix, City Of Shively Council Members 2020, My Christus Health, Canterbury Tales Social Classes Essay, What Happened To Skinnyman,