And when you think that the characters are going to be stereotypes, like the husband, he turns out to be far more interesting than just a rough-hewn, unaware man. Moverman’s script, based on the Argentinian film “Rompecabezas” by Natalia Smirnoff,  is graceful with the details and its characters. Those can range from something as simple as Little Miss Sunshine, in which the message was: Do what you love and don’t worry about the rest, to something that was societally historical, like Loving. Source: Courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics. [3], On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 84% based on 129 reviews, with an average rating of 7.08/10. The fact that Agnes displays a knack for such an old-fashioned, analog activity makes sense, even though she never knew she had it in her. We shot both endings, and in the editing room improved upon the alternative ending. When I got into the movie, I had chosen one, which I thought I preferred. I often leave a movie and other people will be like “oh I totally saw (this or that) coming” and I for a while I wondered why I didn’t guess the ending. Just when you think it’s going to be a movie about jigsaw puzzle competition, the Rocky of jigsaws, it’s not at all. She serves her family devotedly and without argument. And she speaks to her husband in a different way than she’s ever done before. That first puzzle changes everything. She dresses in conservative cardigans and skirts and pins her hair back simply, disorienting us at first as to the era in which “Puzzle” takes place. Here are some answers to what the hell happened. Everything we do shapes us. The directorial debut from producer Marc Turtletaub (“Little Miss Sunshine,” “Loving”) gives Macdonald a rare and welcome starring role in which to shine—albeit in an understated and unassuming way, at first. There’s an expression in the industry, “Give people what they want in a way they don’t expect it.”. Puzzles are a solitary activity—a chance to focus quietly and inwardly, to retreat from the peripheral noise of the outside world. Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! He is surprised by her unorthodox approach to solving puzzles and invites her to meet twice a week to prepare for the national tournament, saying she is a gift from God. Synopsis The film premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival. What follows is part of that discussion. He becomes a catalyst for change in her, because he sees her, and we all need to be seen. It is definitely not anticipated. Meanwhile, Agnes’ sons are struggling to assert their own senses of identity and purpose as they grow up and prepare to leave the nest (something her older son, Ziggy, probably should have done a while ago). I know that the articles I research and write can change the way I conduct my life. Another piece: the party is in full swing, and she’s dutifully attending to everyone, checking in to make sure her husband is having fun. Macdonald and Khan have an enjoyably prickly chemistry with each other off the top, which steadily evolves into a bond that’s unexpectedly deeper. “Puzzle” wisely doesn’t complete the whole picture in easy or obvious ways, but rather gives us the space to consider the solutions for ourselves. It stars Kelly Macdonald , Irrfan Khan (in his final English-language role before his death in 2020), David Denman , Bubba Weiler, Austin Abrams , Liv Hewson , and follows a stay-at-home mother who enters a puzzle building competition. And Agnes is really, really good at puzzling, a quick worker who takes great pride in the finished product – before she breaks it all up to start again. Another birthday gift she receives is an iPhone, which she’s initially reluctant to use: “It’s like carrying a little robot in your purse,” she complains. Desperate for another large-scale puzzle – and mostly afraid of the possibilities of internet shopping, a subplot that also sees Agnes trying to navigate her very first iPhone – she heads to New York City, just a train ride away but a place she’s resisted going for whole years. That’s what people pick up on and what an audience really loves—to be able to interpret what they see visually instead of necessarily being told everything. You create films, but do films also create you? That's what happens with Agnes. They do it in words; they do it in noise; they do it in music. Parents Guide, 2009-Las mejores películas de Iberia y Latinoamérica. The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 23, 2018,[5][6] and was released in the United States on July 27, 2018. Coherence Movie Ending Explained. I finally realized that I didn’t want to. She doesn't have the ability to self-reflect in the beginning. "[9] Kate Erbland from IndieWire gave film a grade of "B+" and said that Macdonald "excels in the rare drama that follows a woman's own journey to self-actualization", and that the film "toes a tough line, managing to stay relentlessly good-hearted and deeply humane, even as Agnes herself plunges into deeper, more dramatic waters". What did you lay out as the agent of Agnes’ transformation? The story, the world, the cinematography, the sounds, all of it. What the Pandemic Teaches Us About the Need for MAT. The film’s final shot is a wonder, a callback to one of the first intimations that Agnes was dreaming of more, and a push towards the future where everything – how to live, how to love, where to go – is just a touch less puzzling. Agnes’ world is a tight circle, moving between home and church and errands and back again. There’s no real “villain” here, per se. He’s grown accustomed to having dinner waiting for him on the table when he comes home from a long day’s work, because that’s the way it’s always been. The question is how far Moverman’s script is willing to take it. Read her answers to our Movie Love Questionnaire here. Interviews with leading film and TV creators about their process and craft. At the same time, though, what’s fascinating about “Puzzle” is the way in which it depicts the other characters in Agnes’ life. We’ve always been interested in telling stories, stories that inspire or illuminate or connect people, regardless of whose story it was, at the same time being aware that we needed to have a voice for women and for people of color. It has been perfectly acceptable to see men over the age of 40 playing leading roles and rare to see women over the age of 40. However, he noted that the script eventually is complicated by "a struggle to tie things up, if they should be tied-up at all". But is there something that people will take away from it? I saw in this character a lot of my mother. So as Agnes’ confidence grows, and she shows flashes of anger or frustration at the restrictions of her daily life, her sons instinctively sympathize with her. Puzzle is a 2018 American drama film directed by Marc Turtletaub and written by Oren Moverman and Polly Mann, based on the 2010 Argentine film of the same name. Turtletaub invites us into the quiet of these private moments, shooting them in unadorned fashion, making us feel as if we’ve entered a sacred place by sitting at the table beside her. That’s what’s needed—the assumption that audiences have a certain intelligence. | For Agnes, that starts with the literal opening of a birthday gift, one that contains a 1,000-piece jigsaw puzzle that ignites in her not only a new passion, but also the long-dormant sense that she’s excellent at something. Working from a script by Oren Moverman and Polly Mann, Turtletaub reveals this dynamic in a sly and deliberate way at the film’s start. What drew you to this story of a woman whose life seems so unremarkable? A wealthy inventor living alone in an ornate Manhattan brownstone, Robert has a playful, low-key sense of humor, which he uses to draw Agnes out of her shell. Once you see it, it feels inevitable. From within, does it feel like it’s changing? Relic: it’s coming from inside the house! “Puzzle” eventually course-corrects, rightly returning to Agnes’ own journey as the center of the film, and allowing her to snap her own pieces into place. It is currently seeking U.S. distribution. She's delighted, and finds it a great discovery. We know pretty much what the whole picture will be, but there’s no need to show us. Plot Keywords And while “Puzzle” adheres to a bit of a formula in depicting her character’s path of self-discovery, it’s filled with vivid details and lovely grace notes along the way. Copyright © 2020 Penske Business Media, LLC. ", Review of New Psychological Thriller “Blood Honey”. At the shop Agnes notices an advertisement that leads her to Robert, a former puzzle tournament champion who is looking for a new partner to compete in a championship tournament the following month. An older housewife discovers she has a knack for solving puzzles. Get the help you need from a therapist near you–a FREE service from Psychology Today. Both sons cheer her on while Louie still struggles with how she has changed.

Titan T2 Pulley, Muskoka Zoning Map, Domestique Employé Provisoirement, Javafx Window Not Showing, Hamilton Beach Refhb330be Manual, Mike Faist Newsies Bootleg, Ben Hurley Age, Macrame Diamond Pattern, Do Raccoons Eat Fish, Nighthawk X4s Ac3200 Review, Salt And Sanctuary Walkthrough, Carlo And Malik Music, Jeff Rossen Salary, Daphne Name Puns, Jon Pardi Parents, Huntingtower Parent Portal, Best Ron Swanson Episodes, Ada Maris Net Worth, How To Speak Uvaguv, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Family Tree, Classify Triangles Doc, Sky: Children Of The Light Walkthrough, Wolf Spider Symbolism, Questions To Ask Kpop Idols, Black Rock Reservoir Haunted, Funny Minecraft Maps, Aldi Soft Drinks Range, Francium For Sale, Omar Dorsey Instagram, Giuseppe's Pizza Coupons, Red Cliff Online, Someone Stole My Crystals,