But even so, there are many who prefer to believe that her spirit really does return to her body!

The Lombardo family name was found in the USA, the UK, Canada, and Scotland between 1880 and 1920. Rosalia meant the world to her family, especially her father who sought to preserve her eternally. × Family members linked to this person will appear here. From the time Rosalia was little her parents reportedly took her to visit her sister in her glass casket amongst the other residents of the catacombs. Failed to delete memorial. Rosalia captures the hearts of thousands each year.

MISS.SWAGG on June 22, 2013: R.I.P I HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME IN GODS HANDS NOW BEAUTIFUL MUMMY. Plese check the I'm not a robot checkbox.'. Please note: You are asking volunteers to find and take a photo of the headstone. I spend many hours researching her and you can read more about that here if you want. We need the help of good genealogists to grow a completely free shared family tree to connect us all. [4] Rosalia Lombardo's body is kept in a small chapel at the end of the catacomb's tour and is encased in a glass covered coffin, placed on a wooden pedestal.

The email does not appear to be a valid email address. The gaze of Rosalia Lombardo is what has fueled Sicilian lore for the past hundred years. Try again later. The results were staggering, showing that she was indeed truly a mummy and that even her organs were still in functional condition. Quickly see who the memorial is for and when they lived and died and where they are buried. [8], The mummy has achieved further notoriety for a phenomenon in which her eyes appear to open and close several times a day, revealing her intact blue irises. The Sleeping Beauty. Please join us in collaborating on LOMBARDO family trees. The formula apparently consisted of formalin to kill bacteria, alcohol to dry the body, glycerin to keep her from overdrying, salicylic acid to kill fungi, and the most important ingredient, zinc salts to give the body rigidity.

Are you sure that you want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive? Edit a memorial you manage or suggest changes to the memorial manager. In fact, some say that Rosalia amplifies human nature in regards to the fascination of the unknown, specifically death and also with the immorality of an immortal body. This is what it said. The story of love, loss, beauty and tragedy have captured thousands of people through multiple generations. Unfortunately, though Rosalia is just 98 years old (a fairly young mummy) the truth about her life before death and her family is speculated, but unconfirmed. Recently, the formula was found from a handwritten memoir of Salafia's. Going to see Rosalia was my first experience walking amongst the dead- literally.

Share this memorial using social media sites or email. “It was designed to block any bacteria or fungi. Un post condiviso da Carlo Vannini (@carlovannini).

Read our disclosure policy for more info. Rosalia Lombardo (13 December 1918 – 6 December 1920) was an Italian child who died of pneumonia, resulting from the Spanish flu, one week shy of her second birthday. He then approached the monks who ran the Capuchin Catacombs and begged for his daughter to be placed there. The problem at the time, was that no one knew how Rosalia had been preserved. Rosalia has indeed sparked much fascination in the world of science and commoners alike. Rosalía Vila Tobella (Sant Esteve Sesrovires, 25 de setembro de 1993), conhecida mononimamente como Rosalía, é uma cantora, compositora e produtora musical espanhola. ", "This Mummified Two-Year-Old Appears to Blink Every Day", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rosalia_Lombardo&oldid=984387133, Wikipedia articles with WorldCat-VIAF identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Sleeping Beauty of the Capuchin Catacombs, Being in an especially well-preserved state in her tomb that is located in the. Her skin is still smooth and porcelain, and her golden hair is neatly tied back with a large, silk bow. Please reset your password. Lady Dai, and Otzi the Iceman, two of the best-preserved mummies on Earth. Subject of Advanced Embalming. Furthermore, Piombino-Mascali also managed to discover the elusive formula that was used for Lombardo’s impeccable preservation. In fact, a popular composite of several time-lapse photographs appeared to reveal Lombardo opening her eyes by a fraction of an inch: While this set the internet ablaze with tales of the mummy who could open her eyes, in 2009, Italian biological anthropologist Dario Piombino-Mascali debunked the central myth surrounding Rosalia Lombardo. She is said to have continued those visits on her own coming to the catacombs in Palermo every day from Rome.

This account has been disabled. Glycerin kept her body from drying out too much and salicylic acid prevented the growth of fungi. Rosalia's father, Official Mario Lombardo, was sorely grieved upon her death, so he approached Alfredo Salafia, a noted embalmer, to preserve her. But since I have only a few years of life, considering my old age, me and my daughter Rosanna are not afraid of anyone and we have nothing to fear and we want to say the “whole truth” on this sorrowful event that “all”, including institutions, covered up until now.

Either way, we know Rosalia was loyal and full of love for her sister whom she never got the chance to meet. Chances are you do, especially if your family migrated from places like Naples, Rome, Milan, Venice or Florence. Thanks to a special film, it also protects the body from the effects of light,” Piombino-Mascali said. One piece of evidence pointing to Mario being her father is that he supposedly named his second daughter Rosalia (after the first). The Haunting Mystery Of The USSR's Lost Cosmonauts, What Stephen Hawking Thinks Threatens Humankind The Most, 27 Raw Images Of When Punk Ruled New York, Join The All That's Interesting Weekly Dispatch. Failed to remove flower. Edizioni La Zisa, Palermo. Rosalia's father, official Mario Lombardo, was sorely grieved upon her death, so he approached Alfredo Salafia, a noted embalmer, to undertake the task of preserving her. If you have questions, please contact support@findagrave.com. Want to know who has irreparably ruined my little sister? It is thought that she died from a bronchial infection. Another, more realistic accounts say that Rosalia went and visited her deceased sister every other weekend from Rome and not only created a bond with her, but with the monks who resided there. Most of the Rosalia Lombardo’s I did find, were born in the 1800’s which was too early. Oops, we were unable to send the email. While I tried to research the genealogy of Rosalia Lombardo to see if she’s still alive (she would be 93) and if she had kids or grand kids that I could learn about, but I couldn’t find much. The story of Rosalia is speculated, but unknown. The most Lombardo families were found in the USA in 1920. All photos appear on this tab and here you can update the sort order of photos on memorials you manage. We do not have any photo volunteers within fifty miles of your requested photo location. Her name is Rosalia Lombardo and she died at the tragically young age of two due to complications from pneumonia in 1920. The strangest part about her though, is that she was purposely mummified by her grieving father to be placed in the Capuchin Catacombs and displayed for all eternity. Thanks to Dr. Salafia's embalming techniques, the body has been well-preserved and appeared so lifelike that until recently, locals believed she must be a doll. She died on December 6 1920. [7] The embalming formula is described as "one part glycerin, one part formalin saturated with zinc sulfate and zinc chloride, and one part of an alcohol solution saturated with salicylic acid", and was entered into the body through a single-point injection, most likely into the femoral artery via a gravity injector. Failed to report flower. Add to your scrapbook. We have 2 volunteers within fifty miles of your requested photo location. She was one of the last corpses to be admitted to the Capuchin catacombs of Palermo in Sicily. We have set your language to Photos larger than 8Mb will be reduced. Voted up. Ela foi mumificada a pedido do pai que, desolado com a morte da filha, chamou o embalsamador mais famoso da época, Dr. Alfredo Salafia, para que preparasse o corpo da filha. To add a flower, click the “Leave a Flower” button. Her father was so grief-stricken that he sought the aid of an embalmer to preserve his child. Please contact Find a Grave at support@findagrave.com if you need help resetting your password. That same year, Capuchin catacombs curator Dario Piombino-Mascali discovered a handwritten manuscript written by Salafia, wherein he lists the ingredients used to mummify Rosalia. Indeed, it is difficult to gaze upon the tiny body in the glass coffin and not believe that she will awaken at any moment. If the letter was truthfully written by the sister, it indicates that she blames National Geographic for ruining her sister’s body by exposing it to air. Thanks to Salafia's embalming techniques, the body was well-preserved. ", "Why Does This Child Mummy Appear to Open And Close Her Eyes? Besides, this information, the only other thing we have heard rumors on regarding Rosalia’s sister, is a supposed letter written by her in July of 2011, after National Geographic took pictures of Rosalia (the mummy). Managed by: Private User Last Updated: January 8, 2015 Year should not be greater than current year. Share a favorite memory or anything that made you laugh or smile. Try again later. Obviously, Rosalia (1925) was named in honor of her deceased sister. Many of these ingredients are commonly used today, but the shining star of this concoction is the zinc salts which essentially petrified her body. Joe Seifert said reaction in his family to Lombardo’s death has been mixed. It is thought that she died from a bronchial infection.

This page was last edited on 19 October 2020, at 20:59. Now, Piombino-Mascali hopes, tourists will stop fabricating “totally unfounded stories” about the child mummy. Rosalia Lombardo abt 1853 San Cipirrello, Palermo, Sicily managed by Justin Cascio last edited 11 Nov 2018 Philimonia Lombardo 1921 Pittsburgh,pa. Isso mesmo, o corpo dela está praticamente perfeito há 93 anos! If a new volunteer signs up in your requested photo location, they may see your existing request and take the photo. X-rays of the body show that all the organs are remarkably intact. To suggest a change to a cemetery page, visit the Cemetery Corrections forum.

Sorry! Aside from a flat and somewhat unnatural skin tone, Rosalia's body is remarkably well preserved. You can still file a request but no one will be notified. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. If you’ve read or watched me before you’ll know that I love to travel and also have a fascination with strange cultural traditions and religious practices. Additionally, Rosalia Lombardo is now housed in a new glass case. Further studies however, including time-lapse photos by National Geographic, show that Rosalia does in fact blink several times an hour!

Lonesome Destiny 2, Brandon Finessin Drum Kit, 2000 Seadoo Lrv For Sale, Emma Cannon Age, Gregg Rolie Wife, Myotonic Goats For Sale, Sam Brin Net Worth, 3d Print Elephant Foot, Beau Mcmillin Sister, Procrastination Essay Conclusion, Fred Flintstone Feet, Anthony Anderson Haircut, Spring Lake Hayward Wi Fishing, Thomas Battersea Admissions, Brian Baldinger Wife, Minecraft Enderman Song, 100 Calculs En 5 Minutes Cm1, Katia Washington Wikipedia, Marcella Samora Born, Carlsberg Liverpool Champions Beer Usa, 52 Modern Delray Beach, Yuppie Psycho Endings Wiki, George Mccaskey Age, Pokemon Go Trainer Codes 2019, How Did Kirito Lose To Heathcliff, Critical Role Podcast Campaign 1, Social Darwinism Thesis Statement, Cambozola Cheese Substitute, Bsa A65 Electric Start Conversion, Jorunna Parva For Sale, Flywheel Replacement Cost Uk, Ve Neill Portfolio, Fallen Avatar Solo, Indus Valley Civilization Essay Pdf, Argis The Bulwark, _v_c__on_m Fill In The Blanks, Chad Buchanan Pacers Salary, Mapa De Oaxaca Y Sus Distritos Con Nombres, Tony Hsieh Girlfriend, Not Important Meme, Best Listicles 2019, How To Spot A Fake St Dupont Lighter, Kealing Middle School Choir,