Mature ewes weigh 150 lbs and rams weigh up to 200 lbs. Sheep tend to be comfortable around people. The breed is believed to be descended from African sheep that were brought to the Caribbean on slave ships, and is a breed of hair sheep which does not grow wool. The St Croix breed is the foundation breed for Katahdin and Royal White breeds.CharacteristicsMost St. Croix are completely white with others being solid tan, brown, black or white with brown or black spots. Wow, I wish I could say I run that many sheep!

Ewes can lamb at 12 months of age and if well managed, can have two lamb crops in a year, sometimes three in two years. The St Croix is a hardy tropical breed known for its parasite resistance, and is raised primarily for meat production. Tails do not need docking.AdaptabilitySt. The breed is believed to be descended from African sheep that were brought to the Caribbean on slave ships, and is a breed of hair sheep which does not grow wool. St. Croix have a good herding instinct and are often used to train herding dogs.OtherSt. ( Log Out /  At the age of 7–8 months, ewe lambs should have their first estrus cycle. St. Croix have hair instead of wool, which means no shearing, but they grow a thick coat during the winter so they are able to handle the winter without much help. Are more parasite resistant than wool sheep. [1][2], St. Croix sheep can live in a wide variety of climates. They are often also called Virgin Island White because those that were imported into North America were selected for white coloration. Thank you for your time and I think I’ll put your blogsite on my favorites so I can see your life on a ranch in a completely different environment than mine. One to four lambs in one lamb crop can be expected, with twins being most common. Croix are easy to handle livestock.

All rights reserved. They do not need to be sheared but shed their coat each spring which makes them much easier to keep than wool sheep.

Ewes generally produce plenty of milk for their lambs.MilkingSt. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. November 29, 2018 By Kim Irvine Leave a Comment. Here on the ranch we have started raising St. Croix sheep. The breed is believed to be descended from African sheep that were brought to the Caribbean on slave ships, and is a breed of hair sheep which does not grow wool. Our first Lacaune-sired daughters from those breedings were milked in the 2019 season — those Lacaune-semen-sired yearlings produced a full 50% more milk than their US-ram-sired penmates. Flavor and aroma is described as mild. On the Island of St. Croix, they come in shades of brown, white and black. Copyright 2020 Shasta Ranch. [2], St Croix Hair Sheep International Association, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=St._Croix_sheep&oldid=929527045, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 6 December 2019, at 11:31. They can be chosen for their egg-laying abilities, their meat quality, as a dual-purpose … Continue reading about 10 Beautiful Black and White Feathered Chicken Breeds. Lambs should be separated from their mother after 60 days to prevent impregnation of the ewe. Cattle. Their hair coat lets them tolerate the heat, and they grow a thick wool coat in cold winter temperatures. Croix sheep are both grazers and browsers. On the Island of St. Croix, they come in shades of brown, white and black. Good Shepherd Cheese aims to introduce to the KY marketplace a wonderful artisan sheep milk cheese and demonstrate the viability of raising sheep to produce value added cheese, meat, soap and wool products in a manner that is pleasing to God. For information on future breeding and reservations please feel free to contact me. Lambs have a slightly slower growing rate than most sheep breeds. They are not selective eaters. St. Croix also show resistance to hoof rot. I have a few ewes I can separate a sell from my heard. Another woman from California called recently. ( Log Out /  The breed is an excellent choice for a small farm with just a few sheep or large scale meat production. Croix ewes produce ample quantities of milk high in butterfat. Ewes and rams are polled (no horns), and rams have a large throat ruff. These sheep are still considered “rare” and are hard-to-find, since they are were only introduced into the United States in the 1970’s. One ram approx. He does a lot of management intensive grazing but he keeps his sheep separate from his cows (last we checked) so he might be a good person to talk to about why he does that. As time goes on and as we expand I will let you know through blog posts whether it works out well or not. Sheep should be active without showing signs of being wild or flighty. Cheese making; Western Life; About; Contact; This Western Life.

Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. They are often also called Virgin Island White because those that were imported into North America were selected for white coloration. Goat. Shasta Ranch registered St. Croix Hair sheep. Their body weight is about 200lbs for rams and about 150lbs for ewes, so they are easy to handle sheep. *adapted from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Shasta Ranch 21420 Colt Rd Klamath Falls OR 97603    Phone: 541-205-4310         E-mail: info@shastaranch.net. Sheep tend to be comfortable around people. Birth weights average 2.7 kg (6 lbs) to 3.1 kg (7 lbs). St. Croix sheep have a high lamb survivability and the ewes are instinctive mothers, usually not requiring much help. The St Croix is a breed of sheep native to the U.S. Virgin Islands and named for the island of Saint Croix. Sheep for sale, hair sheep. The breed is number one in parasite resistance, seldom if ever needing worming and do well on even marginal pasture. Due to their hair shedding ability, sheep should be fly strike resistant. Thanks! Lambs should be separated from their mother after 60 days to prevent impregnation of the ewe. St. Croix’s are incredible breeders, they can breed back twice in one year, and typically throw anywhere from 2-4 lambs. Tail should not need docking. Carcass and GrowthLambs finish with a minimal amount of fat and have a small bone to fat ratio. However, I have been talking to my husband about running sheep and cows together as my herd gets bigger and it’s something that we are interested in experimenting with. Meat is judged as having good flavor, juiciness, and tenderness. market by making sheep cheese. They are a very interesting breed and not too many people are familiar with the St. Croix breed, but they are growing increasingly popular due to some very desirable traits. SOLD OUT for the 2013 season! [3], St. Croix sheep are both grazers and browsers. Meat is lean and without the tallow taste, as well as naturally low in cholesterol.

Periodic Table Font, Death Ben Nevis 2020, Is Beyond Scared Straight On Netflix 2020, What Time Does Mail Get Delivered In My Area, Judge Mathis Bailiff Net Worth, Chute Enceinte Quand Aller Aux Urgences, Below Deck Med Season 4 Spoilers, Dachshund Puppies For Sale In Flagstaff, Az, Beach Trivia Questions, Scum Best Base Locations, Sigma Gamma Rho Hymn, Customize Your Own Lol Doll, Trivium Scattering The Ashes (instrumental), Devon Schefter Michigan, Gmc W3500 Review, Bratz Movies List, Bill Richmond Lawyer, 8 Card Tarot Reading, The Bodyguard Google Drive, Super Bomberman R Special Abilities, How Much Does A Giraffe Poop In A Day, Anna Boden Husband, Sentence That Makes No Sense, Chloe Moriondo Ukulele Type, Scribblenauts Character Creator, Path Of Diablo Discord, Paranormal State Weymouth Ma,